Civil War Trails

Thomasville, NC

Thomasville has a few Civil War sites, which is why is a very popular destination along the Civil War Trails. During the Civil War, Thomasville became a hospital center that treated the sick and wounded, civilian and soldier alike. The Thomasville hospital depot provided care for hundreds of soldiers from both armies until it closed in the summer of 1865. The 34 men who died while in Thomasville – among them 26 Confederates, 4 Federals, and 4 unknowns – were buried in a common plot in the city cemetery. In 1908, a Georgian who had served in the hospital depot led a successful fundraising effort to provide headstones for those who had died, as a tribute to the sacrifices of the soldiers and the dedication of the community who served them.” The city cemetery is located about a block north of this site and the graves of the soldiers can be found there. Both the Baptist and Methodist churches are gone, so is the Tobacco Factory and Glen Anna Seminary, this marker is almost all that’s left to tell the story about the town’s contributions during the war.

To Learn More about the Cival War Trails Visit their Website

3 Historic Downtown Walks

Thomasville, NC

Visitors of Thomasville are encouraged to participate in one (or all 3) of the City’s Self-guided Historical Walks. Each Walk begins at the Visitors Center (Historic Train Depot beside the Red Caboose) and they are all less than one mile long (round-trip). The Blue Walk is the most handicapped/stroller friendly. Pick up a Visitors Guide with the walks included at the Visitors Center, go to visitthomasvillenc.com for an electronic copy of the Visitors Guide with the walks in it, and/or download the free app, “PocketSights”, to lead your way and tell you about each site.

To Learn More about the 3 Historic Downtown Walks Visit their Website

Historic Building Murals

Thomasville, NC

Since 1993, PACE (People Achieving Community Enhancement) has commissioned several mural art pieces around the Historic Downtown Thomasville district. Thomasville has long been an industrial city steeped in textiles, furniture, agriculture, and tobacco. Before the 1960s, the historic district was a bustling, beautiful area with beautiful architectural façades and economic life. With the fall of these industries, the city’s center also suffered. Beautifying the city for not only residents, but as a tool for tourism and cultural heritage, PACE, the Beautification Committee, and other city agencies have worked to rebuild and re-energize historic downtown Thomasville with limited financial resources, and with persistent volunteerism.

To Learn More about the Historic Building Murals Visit their Website

Train Watching

Thomasville, NC

Railfans from across the world say Thomasville is the #1 train watching spot in North Carolina. People have traveled from as far away as Japan to watch the trains. With over 40 trains passing through the heart of historic downtown Thomasville on Norfolk Southern’s main line in a 24-hour period, this location is perfect for photographers, videographers, and train chasers. The visitors center is housed in the historic train depot sitting right beside the tracks, which is the 2nd oldest depot in the state of North Carolina (built in 1870). Railfans can also visit Mike’s Trains shop which also has a perfect view for train spotting. Don’t forget to visit Thomasville for Trackside Train Day, usually held in April each year

To Learn More about Train watching Visit their Website

Wedding & Event Venues

Thomasville, NC

Whether you need meeting space for a work event getaway, a much needed family reunion, or the perfect wedding ceremony & reception venue, Thomasville, North Carolina offers a variety of venues to fit perfectly for the occasion

To Learn More about Wedding & Event Venues Visit their Website

“World’s Largest Chair”

Thomasville, NC

The “World’s Largest Chair” or “The Big Chair” is a landmark located in Thomasville, North Carolina. It is a large-scale replica of a Duncan Phyfe armchair built in 1950 by Thomasville Furniture Industries. Before the current chair was built, a predecessor was built in September 1922. The original chair was 13 feet 6 inches (4.11 m) tall. The old chair was unfortunately made of pine instead of lasting material, which resulted in it being worn down over time. It was torn down in 1936, and the new chair did not occupy the spot until 1950. The current chair is 30 feet (9.1 m) tall and the seat is 10 feet 6 inches (3.20 m) wide, while being made from steel and concrete. The base is sculpted from Indian limestone. In 1960, the chair received attention as Lyndon B. Johnson stood on the chair to wave to locals as he campaigned for the United State presidential election, 1960, in which he was the winning vice-presidential candidate.

To Learn More about the “World’s Largest Chair” Visit their Website